Wednesday, February 20, 2013

The Ice Cream Cone Effect

The other day I wore some skinny jeans to a friends baby shower. Here I am with my adorable friend Angelina, rocking our strangely color coordinated outfits, at the shower.


My skinnies are from Forever 21
My Top is from Motherhood Maternity
My sunglasses are O'Neill


My necklace is from Stella and Dot


My Shoes are from Target


I have mixed feelings about wearing skinny jeans while pregnant. I have mixed feelings about wearing skinny jeans anyway, but especially while pregnant. 

Don't get me wrong, I do it. And I tell myself that as long as my top covers most of my bum, they look fine. And then I break that rule, and blow the whole thing. 

But let me explain the real reason that I have such mixed feelings about skinnies with a baby bump. It is because of this:



The Ice Cream Cone Effect.

The idea that ones legs in skinny jeans resemble an ice cream cone, and a baby bump on top looks like a big scoop of ice cream. 

I don't like it. It draws attention to the hips, and makes them look larger than they are. At least that's what I tell myself in order to avoid the truth that they may actually be that large.

But for some reason, I just cannot get away from wearing them. No matter how many times I tell myself that skinnies while preggo are a bad call, somehow they just jump out of my closet and onto my legs. 

It could be because they are so comfortable. Or that they go with flowy tops, which is basically all I wear these days.

I think the reason they got into my closet in the first place, was with the intention of wearing them with boots. 

And then somehow I justified wearing them with flats, as long as my top was long enough to cover my bum, and then somehow I justified just wearing them straight up, with no counterbalance or extra coverage. 

Someone once told me that the road to hell is paved with good intentions. At the time I heard this, it thoroughly ticked me off. And now, I understand.

And so I am resigned to live the life of an ice cream cone. Temporarily satisfying, but actually makin' make me look fat. 

Such is life. 

A comfortable life.

Linking up here today for WIWW

pleated poppy

10 comments:

  1. You look way cute- the skinnies are completely a win! And I love those shoes too- are they current at Target? :)
    Found you at WIWW. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this- you made me crack up!
    I haven't worn skinny jeans yet- just good ole maternity leggings!
    You look great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're too funny! I see what you're saying about the ice cream cone effect. I guess I'll hope that bootcut jeans are 'in' again by the time we start having kids!

    ReplyDelete
  4. haha- you look amazing. sometimes i look at my skinnies and think it looks a little twig like but they are so comfy and at least make my legs look skinny(ish). :)
    i found you through wiww and am happy to be your newest follower.
    congrats on that baby bump-im so happy to get to hang out and meet your baby on here! :)come by and visit!
    www.kendrakaypahukoa.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. that is a funny comparison. :) but they look so cute!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You look super hot Mama! Skinnies are the way to go to balance a flowy top. I prefer to wear mine with boots but they really are just so comfy that I wear them with flats too. I'm not even pregnant and I feel like I have the ice cream cone effect, but hey, who doesn't love an ice cream cone?
    PS-Go look up the song "Soft Serve" by Soul Coughing. Goes great with this post. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very cute! :) I love skinnies too and was even wearing them a lot when I was pregnant. You still look sexy on them.. ;)

    Kaye
    Itsmekikay.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are just too silly - congratulations and many blessings to you and the family! Blog hopping from The Pleated Poppy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Haha, I love it! I'm pregnant too and love the skinny jeans...ice cream cone or not :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Funny analogy, but I think it's cute! I had the same intentions of only wearing skinnies with boots too. It took me forever to even cave in and buy a pair. Now, I wear them all the time and not just with boots. I guess you can call me a conformist! ;)

    ReplyDelete