Friday, February 8, 2013

The Irony is Killing me

1. In the middle of watching Les Miserables in the theater, I suddenly realized that I was watching two Australians, arguing in English Accents, while pretending to be French. A little bit of the movie magic was lost for me after that.

source

2. Did it occur to anyone else during the Olympic Games in London last summer, that each time the United States won a Gold Medal, their National Anthem would play. Which is a song about them winning a battle that granted them Independence from England. Isn't that a little rude? First The U.S. beats Great Brittain, and then they celebrate with a song about how they originally beat them.


3. In France, they call French Kissing American Kissing. 

No kidding. 


4. My Little Giant has recently entered the phase of saying Mommy, mommy, mommy, allllllllllllllllllll the time. (Like ten times in two minutes multiplied by a million) But when I respond, he never has anything further to say to me. 

So I am starting to rue the day that I worked so hard to teach him to say my name. 

The Rookie thinks that I am being ridiculous, and tries to remind me that LG is just a kid, and that him saying my name incessantly shouldn't drive me up the wall so much. So when this next baby is born, I am only going to teach it to say Daddy. 


5. The Rookie's grandmother came from France to the United States after WWII. She did not teach her children to speak French, because (as she puts it) back then, when you moved to America you became American, and did not try to preserve your own culture

So my husband does not speak French. He did however learn Spanish in High-school, and later through church service he began to speak it fluently.

My Great Grandmother came to the United States from Mexico, and didn't speak a word of English. She taught her daughter Spanish, who taught her own son (my father) Spanish, but he didn't teach me Spanish. So I am the first generation in my family who's first language is not Spanish. In High-school, and later in France, I learned to speak French Fluently. 

So here we are, The Rookie is part French, but speaks Spanish, and I am part Mexican but speak French.

(I do realize that a couple of these instances are loose interpretations of the definition of Irony, but I grew up in the generation when Alanis Morissette single handedly confused us all on the actual definition of Irony. So handle it.)


9 comments:

  1. Ha ha ha! See, you guys were meant to be! Like puzzle pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL! Great post. I have five kids, and there were SEVERAL days when they were young that I would say, "I can NOT hear you say mom or mommy ONE MORE TIME today!" This too shall pass!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for sharing that. It helps a little.

      Delete
  3. Oh isn't it ironic? Fun post! Also, I don't think I ever knew that your dad spoke Spanish! Apparently getting to know your father wasn't high on my list of things to do when hanging out with my bff. ;) But I am surprised I didn't know that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really you didn't know? I guess he is kind of intimidating. Did you know he teaches English as a Second Language? That's his job. He speaks a lot of languages now. But Spanish was his first. I wonder why I never told you that. It's like my favorite thing about him.

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The American Kissing one really cracks me up--and I also think it's interesting about the switching French and Spanish languages and heritages between you and your husband. I'm passionate about multilingualism because of growing up overseas, so American or un-American, I want to raise my kids speaking Spanish (Angel's native language) as well as English. And I'll probably throw in some Chinese too. I'm kind of in love with languages. :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you laughed. I think it's hilarious too.

      You totally should teach them multi languages if you have a desire to do it. I love the idea. You go girl. The forum on this website has a ton of amazing resources for teaching infants a second or third language:
      http://www.brillkids.com/ra.php?BKAFF63813

      Good luck!

      Delete